█████╗ ██╗ ██╗███████╗███████╗ ██████╗ ███╗ ███╗███████╗
██╔══██╗██║ ██║██╔════╝██╔════╝██╔═══██╗████╗ ████║██╔════╝
███████║██║ █╗ ██║█████╗ ███████╗██║ ██║██╔████╔██║█████╗
██╔══██║██║███╗██║██╔══╝ ╚════██║██║ ██║██║╚██╔╝██║██╔══╝
██║ ██║╚███╔███╔╝███████╗███████║╚██████╔╝██║ ╚═╝ ██║███████╗
╚═╝ ╚═╝ ╚══╝╚══╝ ╚══════╝╚══════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═╝ ╚═╝╚══════╝
███████╗██╗ ██╗███████╗██╗ ██╗
██╔════╝██║ ██║██╔════╝██║ ██║
███████╗███████║█████╗ ██║ ██║
╚════██║██╔══██║██╔══╝ ██║ ██║
A curated list of awesome command-line frameworks, toolkits, guides and gizmos. Inspired by awesome-php. This awesome collection is also available on Unix-Shell.ZEEF.com.
Choose your base shell.
- bash - GNU Project's shell (Bourne Again SHell)
- fish - Smart and user-friendly command line shell
- xiki - Makes the shell console more friendly and powerful
- xonsh - Python-ish, BASHwards-looking shell language and command prompt
- zsh - Powerful shell with scripting language
Search, bookmarks, multiplexing, and other tools that make your terminal experience more productive.
- AdvancedNewFile3 1 - Fast creation of files and directories in a recursive way. Inspired by the Vim plugin.
- ag14k 1k - Super fast string search through a directory hierarchy
- aliases63 8 - Contextual, dynamic, organized aliases for bash
- aliasme25 1 - alias helper to change directory quickly
- autoenv4k 208 - Directory-based environments
- autojump3k 179 - A cd command that learns - easily navigate directories from the command line
- bashhub385 27 - ☁️ Bash history in the cloud. Indexed and searchable.
- bashmarks687 138 - Directory bookmarks for the shell
- bd683 51 - Quickly go back to a parent directory
- boilr504 27 - A blazingly fast CLI tool for creating projects from boilerplate templates.
- boom1k 124 - Store links and snippets in the commandline
- borg437 21 - A terminal based search engine for bash commands
- Buku2k 168 - Powerful command-line bookmark manager
- byobu - Text-based window manager and terminal multiplexer
- commacd198 11 - A faster way to move around in Bash
- desk2k 84 - A lightweight workspace manager for the shell
- direnv2k 89 - An environment switcher for the shell, compare with autoenv
- enhancd666 53 - 🚀 A next-generation cd command with an interactive filter
- fasd1k 44 - Command-line productivity booster, offers quick access to files and directories
- foxy2 0 - Plain text bookmarks for firefox and surf browsers.
- fz79 3 - Seamless fuzzy tab completion for z
- fzf12k 621 - A command-line fuzzy finder
- googler3k 349 - Google Search, Google Site Search, Google News from the terminal
- has6 2 -
has helps you check presence of various command line tools and their versions on path
- how2 -
how2 finds the simplest way to do something in a unix shell. It's like
man, but you can query it in natural language.
- hhighlighter40 4 - Colorize words in a command output
- hr1k 70 -
for your terminal
- hss85 5 - An interactive parallel ssh client featuring autocomplete and asynchronous execution
- hstr772 61 - Bash History Suggest Box
- jump333 25 - Jump helps you navigate your file system faster by learning your habits.
- k558 51 - k is a Zsh script to make directory listings more readable, adding Git status, fileweight colors and rotting dates
- k alias6 1 - get kool aliases (and more) working with a simple one-liner
- lf.sh - Quickly search files with fewer typings and do many more (grepping, copying path to clipboard, etc)
- marker654 26 - Bookmark your shell commands
- modules - Environment manager for the shell (compare to direnv and autoenv)
- nnn963 53 - File browser and disk usage analyzer with excellent desktop integration
- parallel - Build and execute shell command lines from standard input in parallel
- pathpicker4k 252 - Accepts inputs like grep, searches, git etc; allows selecting files from the result of the input, which you can then open or provide as argument to a command.
- percol2k 131 - Adds flavor of interactive filtering to the traditional pipe concept of UNIX shell
- qfc467 15 - File-completion widget for Bash and Zsh
- rg7k 325 - ripgrep is a line oriented search tool that combines the usability of The Silver Searcher with the raw speed of GNU grep
- SHML105 8 - Style framework for the terminal (Shell Markup Language)
- slugify48 7 - Command that converts filenames and directories to a web friendly format
- sman127 12 - 🐛 A command-line snippet manager
- spark4k 192 - ▁▂▃▅▂▇ in your shell
- Shark - ▁▂▃▅ Sparkline Generator
- sheet202 12 - Text snippets for the command line
- spot - Tiny file search utility
- snips21 4 - Commandline tool to manage snippets of code.
- sshfs153 20 - A tool for mounting remote file systems over SSH
- sshrc4k 152 - Bring your .bashrc, .vimrc, etc. with you when you SSH
- sudocabulary83 20 - Learn English Vocabulary from your terminal
- surfraw - browse specific site and search the web from your terminal without browser.
- thefuck36k 2k - Fix common shell mistakes by using an easy to remember command
- tldr117 16 - A fully-functional bash client for tldr, simplified and community-driven man pages
- tmux - Amazing terminal multiplexer
- up31 1 - Ascend directories by name or count; for bash, zsh, and fish.
- v307 29 - z for vim.
- wemux2k 67 - Multi-User Tmux Made Easy
- z7k 708 - z is the new j, yo
Custom prompts, color themes, etc.
Command-line development, version control, and deployment.
- bcal34 11 - Byte CALculator for storage conversions and calculations
- bocker4k 358 - Docker implemented in 100 lines of bash
- cloc3k 233 - Count Lines of Code
- doclt - A command line interface to Digital Ocean
- dokku5k 601 - Docker powered mini-Heroku. The smallest PaaS implementation you've ever seen.
- getopts - CLI parser for fish
- git-extra-commands218 20 - Many Git extra utilities. Churn, cut-branch, improved-merge and many more.
- 11k 913 - Git utilities -- repo summary, repl, changelog population, author commit percentages and more
- git-open1k 130 - Type
git open to open the GitHub page or website for a repository in your browser
- git-semver111 13 - Git plugin for easing semantic versioning and changelog validation
- git-sh592 43 - A customized Bash environment suitable for Git work
- git-up2k 98 - Automatically rebase incoming changes instead of merging. Be polite!
- hub12k 1k - hub helps you win at git.
- mr539 107 - Multiple Repository management tool
- overcommit2k 178 - A fully configurable and extendable Git hook manager
- pre-commit - A framework for managing and maintaining multi-language pre-commit hooks
- repren141 12 - Command-line search-and-replace and file-renaming swiss army knife
- slap4k 185 - Sublime-like terminal-based text editor that runs on Node.js
- shipit376 41 - Minimalistic SSH deployment
- starring174 4 - Automatically star the npm-packages that you are using on GitHub.
- tag434 20 - Instantly jump to your ag matches.
OS-related tools, including system administration, system debugging, and file and process management.
- atop - ASCII full-screen performance monitor that is capable of reporting the activity of all processes
- ccat2k 58 - ccat is the colorizing cat. It works similar to cat but displays content with syntax highlighting.
- colorex - Displays files or sdtin with pretty colors for matched patterns.
- progress909 84 - Linux tool to show progress for cp, rm, dd, ...
- glances9k 752 - Glances an Eye on your system
- goaccess5k 432 - GoAccess is a real-time web log analyzer and interactive viewer that runs in a terminal in *nix systems.
- histstat30 13 - History for netstat
- htop3k 343 - A ncurses based interactive process viewer which aims to be a better
- lnav - An advanced log file viewer for the small-scale
- ls++243 28 - Colorized ls on steroids
- lsp457 18 - An improved
ls, with file descriptions in plain language and intelligent file grouping
- mtr678 177 - The functionality of the 'traceroute' and 'ping' programs in a single network diagnostic tool.
- ncdu - NCurses Disk Usage
- powertop276 76 - Battery/Power usage and device stats monitoring command-line tool, with tune-up options.
- procdog47 4 - Lightweight command-line control of long-lived processes like servers
- quick-secure119 5 - Quickly secure and harden UNIX/Linux systems
Downloading and Serving
Self-hosted, lightweight servers and networking tools written in shell scripts.
- aria25k 655 - aria2 is a lightweight multi-protocol & multi-source, cross platform download utility operated in command-line. It supports HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, BitTorrent and Metalink
- balls490 21 - Bash on Balls
- bashttpd458 53 - A web server written in Bash
- bitpocket632 46 - "DIY Dropbox" or "2-way directory (r)sync with proper deletion"
- Dropbox-Uploader5k 863 - Dropbox Uploader is a Bash script which can be used to upload, download, list or delete files from Dropbox
- httpie17k 1k - HTTPie is a command line HTTP client, a user-friendly cURL replacement
- ngincat63 4 - Tiny Bash HTTP server using netcat
- resty2k 146 - Little command line REST client that you can use in pipelines
- youtube-dl38k 8k - Small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and other video sites
Multimedia and File Formats
Tools for handling video and audio files.
- adb-export - Export Android content providers to CSV format
- Android-Kitchen556 429 - A text-based kitchen for Android ROM customization. Uses shell scripts and works with Cygwin/OS X/Linux
- Beets3k 589 - Music library manager and MusicBrainz tagger
- cmus4k 511 - Cross-platform cli audio player.
- gifgen104 4 - Simple high quality GIF encoding
- image-scraper392 65 - A cool command line image scraper with a lot of features.
- imgp133 9 - Blazing fast batch image resizer and rotator
- jq9k 617 - Sed for json data. You can use it to slice and filter and map and transform structured data
- mpv - Lets you play most audio and video formats (using ASCII characters) in the shell as well as in a GUI.
- nehm25 4 - Console tool, which downloads, sets IDv3 tags and adds to your iTunes (if you use it) your SoundCloud likes in convenient way
- PiCAST1k 279 - PiCAST turns your $35 Raspberry Pi in to a Chromecast like Device
- sejda288 42 - Command line manipulation of PDF documents (split, merge, rotate, convert to jpg, extract text, etc)
- xidel61 10 - Cli tool to filter, map and create HTML/XML/JSON data with (Turing-complete) XPath and XQuery.
- xmlstarlet - Old but powerful tool for command-line XML formatting, filtering, and manipulation.
Command line-based applications or command line access to existing services.
- ansiweather1k 133 - Weather in your terminal, with ANSI colors and Unicode symbols
- bashblog629 123 - A Bash script that handles blog posting
- choosealicense-cli32 3 - Choose an OSS license from the comfort of your terminal
- facebook-cli124 11 - Facebook command line tool
- fanyi88 17 - Translate English to Chinese in terminal
- geeknote899 152 - Command line evernote client
- haxor-news2k 112 - Browse Hacker News like a haxor
- hn-cli422 25 - Browse Hacker News from the comfort of your Terminal
- iponmap115 6 - Draw point on world map using ip address
- isitup24 2 - Check whether a website is up or down
- jrnl2k 303 - A simple command line journal application that stores your journal in a plain text file
- ledger2k 329 - Command line accounting
- licen26 4 - Generate your license. Yet another lice, but implement with Jinja2 and docopt
- moviemon - Everything about your movies within the command line.
- pockyt177 10 - Read, Manage, and Automate your Pocket collection.
- pushblast9 0 - Get PushBullet notifications when a shell program exits
- pushbullet-bash199 55 - Bash interface to the PushBullet API
- Reddit Terminal Viewer3k 188 - Browse Reddit from your terminal
- SAWS4k 167 - A Supercharged AWS CLI
- taskwarrior - A command-line TODO list manager
- terjira310 12 - Command line power tool for Jira
- transfer.sh — Quickly upload and share files from your shell
- vl27 3 - URL link checker on text documents
- wego5k 352 - Weather app for the terminal
- whereami46 4 - Get your geolocation information from the CLI
- wttr.in4k 229 - ⛅️ The right way to check the weather (curl wttr.in)
All work and no play is a cruddy way to spend your day.
- bash2048409 104 - Bash implementation of 2048 game
- minesweeper4 1 - Bash implementation of minesweeper
- nudoku60 8 - ncurses based sudoku game written in C
- sedtris14 3 - Tetris in sed
- sed-scripts8 1 - Arkanoid and Sokoban written using sed
- tty-solitaire80 11 - Play solitaire in your terminal!
Shell Package Management
Tools for managing multiple shell configurations. For zsh-specific tools, see the Zsh section.
- bash-it4k 1k - A community Bash framework
- basher296 23 - A package manager for shell scripts
- dotdrop63 6 - Save your dotfiles once, deploy them everywhere
- dotfiler134 33 – Shell agnostic git based dotfiles package manager, written in Python.
- fresh841 99 - Keep your dotfiles fresh
- homeshick1k 125 - Git dotfile synchronizer written in Bash
- shundle - Plugin manager for shell scripts
- vcsh1k 118 - Config manager based on Git
- yadm - Git-based dotfiles manager supporting encryption, alternates, and bootstrapping
Shell Script Development
Tools for writing, improving, or organizing Bash or other shell scripts
- ansi100 8 - ANSI escape codes in pure bash - change text color, position the cursor, much more
- assert.sh311 49 - Bash unit testing framework
- bashful - A collection of libraries to simplify writing Bash scripts
- bashmanager37 7 - mini bash framework for creating command line tools
- bashwithnails3 2 - a Bash framework written just for fun with testing, dependency management & packaging
- bats56 15 - Bash Automated Testing System
- crash - Proper error handling, exceptions and try/catch for ZSH
- Fishtape215 5 - TAP producer and test harness for fish
- composure215 22 - Compose, document, version and organize your shell functions
- dispatch34 2 - A command line argument parser in 50 lines of portable shell script.
- is.sh - An alternative for builtin test command, it will make your "if" statements pretty
- lumberjack - A logging interface for shell scripts
- mo131 25 - Mustache templates in pure bash
- optparse87 23 - A BASH wrapper for getopts, for simple command line arguments.
- rerun184 20 - A modular shell automation framework to organize your keeper scripts
- revolver24 4 - A reusable progress spinner for shell scripts
- semver_bash37 11 - Semantic Versioning in Bash
- sh-semver8 1 - Semver tool for bash - finds versions matching to specified rules
- shellcheck8k 472 - Static analysis tool for shell scripts
- shellfire1k 48 - A repository of namespaced, composable shell (bash, sh and dash) function libraries
- shpec308 32 - A shell testing framework
- shutit - Automation framework based on bash and pexpect
- sub1k 87 - A delicious way to organize programs
- ts32 4 - A shell test script
- urchin151 14 - An idiomatic shell testing framework that uses only shell commands
- shunit2309 56 - A unit test framework for Bash scripts with a flavour of JUnit/PyUnit.
- rebash20 1 - Scripting library/framework. Features: imports, exceptions, doc-tests ...
- zunit - A powerful unit testing framework for ZSH
Other Awesome Lists
Other amazingly awesome lists can be found in awesome-awesome177 13 and awesome-awesomeness20k 3k .